Monday, February 11, 2008

First Post EVER!

Well, as I welcome myself (although terribly late) to the blogging scene of the 21st century, I am reminiscent of an old friends webpage. My best friends brother, Riley, was very adept at computers and all that junk and started his own website called "the tempest". This was basically just for a circle of about 10 guys and we would post on whatever the hell we wanted to, similar to what I plan on doing here.

For my first post I would like to talk about the '08 Presidential election.

But before I go off and endorse anybody, I would like to say straightforward that it is not my intention at all to abuse any of the candidates or their beliefs. I am stating my own opinion, nothing more.

So it seems that since republicans are now exceptionally adept at doing whatever is in their best interest and throwing everyone else to the wolves, they have basically created a one party system, at least for now. There is no way that the republicans will even touch the democratic vote in numbers.

To be completely honest, Ron Paul has my vote, even if I have to write him in on the ballot. There are many issues in this country that I believe he has the only answer for, which is wipe the slate clean and start over. He is a strict constitutionalist, which means that if it isn't in the constitution, the federal government doesn't have the authority to do it.

But like all things this will create new problems. One of the first things he wants to do is get rid of the IRS. I have mixed feelings on this. Some of the tax revenue generated by businesses and individuals goes to low-income families. Since I am a member of a low-income family, I'm not sure how this would effect our income. Not to mention how it would effect communities which survive on federal money for roads and schools and such.

One of the things I like about him though is that he wants to do away with the "War on Drugs", which I support 100%. Never in the history of America has more money gone to something that has not done one ounce of good. In fact, I recently saw on CNN that drugs are now cheaper than they have ever been, so in reality all the "war" is doing is creating a supply/demand.

But between the two main democratic candidates, if I had to vote for one I would vote for Hilary Clinton. I have two reasons for this,

1. She wants to put more money into unemployment and medicare.

2. She has more experience in both domestic and international politics than Obama. Whether or not that's a good thing remains to be seen.

But for now I'll be happy writing in Ron Paul and wasting my vote on someone I actually want to win.

2 comments:

ALal said...

Nice Blog Fife. Personally I'm an Obama man myself, but I respect the fact that you're engaged and reading about politics.
You should check my blog out at:

laltechviews.blogspot.com

ALal said...

Also, let me recommend:
cnn.com election center realclearpolitics.com


and this interesting article that i ran across today:

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2008/2/9/13227/22519/239/453361